This ship was laid down in August 1891 to be a successor to a long
and proud line of sailing ships which bore such name in the Russian Navy. The
best known among them was an 120-gun battle-of-the-line ship "TriSvyatitelya",
flagship of Rear-Admiral Novosilsky whose squadron with others under the command
of Admiral P. S. Nakhimov participated in the naval battle at Sinop 30 November
1855, which resulted in a complete defeat and destruction of a large Turkish fleet.
Therefore it was not a surprise at all, in view of the tremendous popularity and
a hero aura surrounding Admiral Nakhimov in Russia, who fell mortally wounded
a year later in the defense of Sevastopol, that the name of one of his ships be
given to the best battleship of the Black Sea Fleet at the time. Also that during
her christening and launching ceremonies, among the numerous dignitaries, a group
of pensioned and elderly veteran-sailors of the old ship was present.
and commissioned in 1897/98, she was the most strongly armour protected warship
in the world at her commissioning and, although possessing a low freeboard as
was customary at that era, still had proved to be an extremely well designed and
During her career since her completion, she was the flagship
of the Russian Black Sea Fleet at one period, until larger and better battleships
implemented that force, as described in the proceeding articles. Around 1912 she
underwent an extensive modernization, which altered her appearance to a certain
extent. This included installation of the pole masts instead of the heavy fighting
tops on them and considerable increase in the strength of her secondary artillery.
World War I she took an active part in all the naval operations in the Black Sea
region as part of the battleship force, including several encounters with German
and Turkish warships and the bombardment of the Bosphorus, but after the October
1917 revolution became a part of the Soviet Navy. Most of the pre-dreadnought
type battleships in the Black Sea, including "Tri Svyatitelya", were on a reserve
status and moored at Sevastopol in April 1918, when they were captured by the
Austro-German forces in breach of the treaty of Brest-Litovsk concluded by them
with Soviet Russia, and were recaptured by the White anti-communist forces in
December 1918. Also all of them were taken over from those units by their Allies,
the Anglo-French naval personnel, and had their machinery destroyed by explosive
charges on 25 April 1919, treacherously set off by the British sailors before
they were turned over again to Gen.Wrangel's Anti-Communist White Government early
Recaptured by the Red Army units upon their entry into Sevastopol
in November 1920 in practically worthless condition, "Tri Svyatitelya" was scrapped
with the rest of the hulks in 1922. .
Nikolaev State Shipbuilding Works|
13,318 tons full load|
||184.5 x 32.5 x 9.65 meters|
cylindrical boilers, 2 sets vertical triple expansion engines, 2 shafts, 11,308
Belt (8' wide Harvey Steel) 288' in length (6' underwater): 16" upper, 18"-16"
lower, 11" lower edge, 16" bow, 14" stern|
Casemates: 5" upper, 2" screens
between the batteries
Deck: 2"-3" (splinter deck)
Turret Face/Side: 16"
Conning Tower: 12"
x 12"/40 cal in 2 twin turrets, 8 x 6""/45 cal in 8 single casemate mountings
(increased to 14 after rearmament ./12), 4 x 4.7"/45 cal (removed in rearmament
./12), 10 x 47mm (decreased to 4 after rearmament ./12), 4 x 37mm Q.F. 2 x 2.5"
(for landing parties)|
2 x 18" submerged torpedo tubes|
officers, 718 men|